Hopefully I won’t give anything away with my review of this card. 1998 was a time where I was all gothed up and going to college. I was busy watching WWE at the time. This show took place right after the Sting vs Hogan match at Starcade 1997 that had a shit finish where the championship was held over… for 2 months… 2 dubmass months. This PPV was when the NWO was still one single faction and it was 1/4th of the company of wrestlers. So it was all out WCW vs NWO. Just hearing the title of the PPV… WCW, NWO and SNICKERS present… Souled Out! Without the title on the line… I thought that Ric Flair vs Bret Hart was the main event… because that’s what they talked about all night. No I was wrong. It was Lex Luger vs Randy Savage.
CHAVO JR, JUVENTUD GUERRERA, SUPER CALO, LIZMARK JR vs LA PARKA, PSYCHOSIS, EL DANDY, SILVERKING
– HOT OPENER! Wow this was good. Sure there were botched spots, but this was the best opening 8 man that there could ever be!
CHRIST BENOIT vs RAVEN
They kick off this match by banning the flock from ringside. Wow what a bland match. If anything Raven was the star with Benoit just selling. What’s bad is there were 2 standing 10 counts in a row. I hate to say it, but this was like watching 2 corpses wrestle.
Cruiserweight Champion CHRIS JERICHO vs REY MYSTERIO JR
– This was a good match, not the greatest. Jericho worked the injured leg of Rey and Rey… jumped and springboarded and did everything he normally does. Rey sells nothing.
JJ DILLON & RODDY PIPER make an announcement with SCOTT HALL, STING & HULK HOGAN
– Question. Why do 2 men need to announce a match for 2 men to have a shot at a 3rd man at the next PPV? Why did 2997 Starcade end with the belt being held up after Sting & Hogan. Why did Scott Hall get a title shot months earlier at World War 3 and have to wait 3 – 4 months before getting a title shot. Why? Why? Why!!!!!!!!!
TV Champion BOOKER T vs RICK MARTEL
– Wow Rick Martel. I felt like I was watching Ken Kennedy. This was a dull and awkward match that I had no interest in, nor did they make me want to watch. The work was memorably bad like when the Quebec Crab was put on Booker… Booker ‘s body and legs were straight out….
SCOTT HALL vs LARRY ZYBISCO
– Wow another match… There was a notable swerve in this match. They worked the best match they could, but wow was the crowd against Larry. You’d think he was the biggest heel and he was the face in all of this! There was a lot of stuff toward the end that made no sense, which seems to be on par. Larry’s moves were also outdated and just didn’t look right.
The tag team champs weren’t defending their belts on this card…
NWO BUFF BAGWELL & SCOTT NORTON & KONNAN vs STIENER BROTHERS & BIG RAY TRAILER
– This was a shmoz. The story of this match was that Rick Stiener didn’t trust his own brother Scott… So he wasn’t letting Scott in the ring. That seems dumb. If he doesn’t trust his brother HIS OWN BROOOOTHERRRR!!!! why not just tag him in and let him get beat up? This was… uh not good. Its interesting though how WCW slow built the Scott, Buff & Rick love triangle over a 6+ month period.
THE GIANT vs KEVIN NASH (powerbotch)
– This is the infamous match where Nash dumped the Giant on his head. There’s nothing spectacular about this match other than it happened 2 hours into the card. The card really just flew by in a haze of meh… Hogan and Bischoff were out there for Nash. Bischoff got laid out it was nice. The highlight is the botched powerbomb. Legend has it that Nash was told to work out in the gym to powerbomb the Giant, but he said he’d powerbomb him anyway. It was interesting hearing the commentators say Paul Wight is 500 lbs yet he’s much slimmer in WCW than WWE. It must be all of that hair.
They also have officials rush out to help the Giant… but not from the powerbomb. The powerbomb was just a botched spot and doesn’t involve the finish… therefore they didn’t care. Having no music to go out on would have been nice. Also Bobby Heenan wasn’t convincing me of the sevarity of things…
RIC FLAIR vs BRET HART
This match seemed to have no build to it… just thrown out there cold. Morons. Hopefully they built up to the PPV with promos, but instead WCW made it seem like the Internet fans built this one up wondering… who’s the best wrestler. Well tonight it was proven. This match was the best match of the night.
Bret Hart countered virtually everything and never let Ric have any offense unless Ric cheated. Luckily that was 25% of Flair’s offense. It was your typical Hart match. It was great in the ring with basic holds and locks, but done effectively. Tony Shavonti on commentary was surprisingly top notch on calling little nuances. I was amazed. Good 15 minute match if that…
LEX LUGAR vs RANDY SAVAGE
Over very quickly. Apparently the story here was Liz. She was all over this match, which as a heel vallet she should be. The match ended… I’m not even sure who won. Then the aftermath happened.
– Bad PPV. Dull and uninspired matches. No main event title defended… nor was he wrestling… nor was the top contender wrestling and your #2 contender was wrestling a retired guy… but they did have an angle with 5 men for 1 belt to announce that at the next PPV they’d have the match. This was a big fuck you to the fans.