Hopefully I won’t give anything away with my review of this card. 2001 is when I had dropped out of college and kept doing what was putting me through college. That was a mistake. This WWA show took place in Australia (which was smart, because the show was packed and hot). Since this show took place right after WCW folded, WWA took a lot of their B-C level guys. The show was headlined by a 7 deadly sins tournament for the new (and cheap looking) WWA heavyweight championship. 7 matches… all with gimmicks (except 1 really…). This is an entertaining PPV, maybe for all of the wrong reasons. Gimmick matches, good wrestling, laughable matches and so on. One notable thing is that Jerry Lawler and Jeremy Borash were on commentary and the commentary was out loud int he arena!
QUARTER FINAL MATCH LADDER MATCH >> JUVENTUD vs PSYCHOSIS
– Juvi went through his talking like the Rock phase and Juvi cut a Rock like promo here. Both luchedores wrestled unmasked since they lost their masks in WCW (terrible idea). I could have sworn this was for the WWA cruiserweight title… but it wasn’t. Good opener.
QUARTER FINAL MATCH DOG COLLAR MATCH >> K-DOG (KONNAN) vs ROAD DOG
– I’m surprised Road Dog wasn’t copyright by the WWE. He even mentioned DX. Konnan came out with his normal shtick, but made a subtle heel out of himself. This was a forgettable and quick match that ended… well with Konnan hog tied (or dog tied) bent over for Road Dogg who dry humped his anus. I don’t think I’d work with Road Dog ever… This was just a taste of things to come.
QUARTER FINAL MATCH HARDCORE MATCH >> DEVON STORM vs NORMAN SMILEY
– This was a good match, but it felt long at times when they had to set up spots. I wish there was more to say that wouldn’t ruin it. Oh plenty of plunder and going around the arena and highspots. Wow there was a lot of big wiggling done to Devon’s butt (2x) and once to Norman’s… I’m surprised WWA didn’t have Norman vs Road Dog to see who could own the anus dry humping move.
QUARTER FINAL MATCH BATTLE ROYAL >> BUFF BAGWELL & DISCO INFERNO & STEVIE RAY & EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WWA INCLUDING REFS, CAMERAMEN, WOMEN… and others…
– Brett Hart as commessioner made an open Battle Royal as a quarter final match… Brilliant idea Bret… Open to everyone in the WWA. This was sheer comedy. It was entertaining, but I can imagine people hating it.
QUARTER FINAL MATCH >> NATHAN JONES vs JEFF JARRETT
– Five quarter-final matches??? A bracketing would have been nice… Australia’s own 7′ tall monster in a match against a heel Jeff Jarrett. Some Australian talk show host was here with Nathan. He took a guitar shot. This match was good and Jeff Jarrett proved he can carry Nathan.
SEMI FINAL 3-WAY MATCH >> LENNY vs LODI vs ROAD DOG
– This was supposed to be whoever won the ladder match vs Road Dog, but whatever. So 2 guys with a gay gimmick came out to face the Road Dog who had just anal humped Konnan in his previous match. They told the story that every 3 way tells, which is eventually the 2 heels break down and its a true 3 way.
SEMI FINAL WHIPPING LUMBERJACK MATCH >> JEFF JARRETT vs BUFF BAGWELL
– I don’t remember much about this match, other than Buff came out with 6 or 8 hotties that had whips that surrounded the ring to whip or massage whoever fell out.
SKIN TO WIN 4-WAY >> NO CLUE vs NO CLUE vs NO CLUE vs MAN IN DRAG
– Thank god the man in drag was in this. Sure you might laugh, but he held this match up and carried it! He worked his ass off. The object of this match was pretty much to rape your opponent. The first 2 women that were wearing string bikini tops were stripped to a lot of boos.
BLACK WEDDING MATCH >> VAMPIRE WARRIOR vs LUNA VACHAUN
– Quick match… Luna wrestled in a thong. They told the story… but failed… that Gangrel didn’t want to hurt his wife. They really failed here. Not a good match, but quick…
CAGE MATCH >> DISCO INFERNO vs FRUITS IN SUITS
– Wow one of the fruits was dumped off of the top of the cage. He was dead… but then came back to life. Sheer comedy. It was great stuff though. Good news… the Fruit in Suit that fell from the cage to the floor was still alive…
WWA TITLE CAGE MATCH FINAL >> JEFF JARRETT vs ROAD DOG
– Good match, a lot of story telling, but I’m sure the fans were very confused when both men left the cage over the top without a finish. Commissioner Bret Hart did guest commentary and kept the belt warm for the guys… Jarrett put a sharp shooter on Road Dog to taunt Bret, then Road Dog put one on Jarrett… That involved Bret… who can’t wrestle a match, but whatever.
– This was a very entertaining PPV, despite how much anal humping there was. Hot crowd that popped for everything (because Australia hadn’t seen anything). I’d definitely want to see another WWA PPV. It probably did no favors for making wrestling credible.